|the view from the main bedroom!|
- cook the pasta in salted water, use sea salt or kosher salt, this is very important part as the pasta absorbs the salt through osmosis during the cooking and adds flavor to the pasta.
- Use a lot if water so the pasta has space to move around and not stick to itself while cooking.
- do not add oil, the pasta is made of hard wheat flour, which contains gluten. The gluten in the pasta and the fact that they were extruded through bronze dies instead of teflon, creates a surface to hold the sauce to the pasta. Adding oil makes the pasta slippery and the sauce slides off.
- DO NOT RINSE OFF THE PASTA, for the same reason as above, you want the starch from the pasta to hold the sauce on.
- Keep some of the pasta water. Instead of adding cream to recipes or butter, some of the pasta water is the secret of all great chefs to the perfect sauce.
- DO NOT DRAIN ALL THE WATER FROM THE PASTA. Again, same reasoning, you want a little of the water clinging to the pasta for the sauce.